Sunday, August 23, 2009

My reply to a friends query on how he can use Windows 7 and his problems with Ubuntu 9.04 (quoting) "Also my UBUNTU 9.04 showing some probs like - Automatically Log Off, Sometimes just freezes and I have to reboot. I think now I have had my share of experiments with the latest gigs, can somebody suggest a STABLE and yet FULLY functional DISTRO for me to try"

===My Reply===

Download the Windows 7 RC1 which is legal/valid till June 2010. Else someone coming this side I can give the DVD!!

As about Ubuntu 9.04 - typical desktop Ubuntu problems - view the quick updates for trying to keep pace with the latest and greatest (there was three kernel update in the last month!!!) and some tends to be broken!! I thus typically use Debian (Debian 5.0 Lenny) view its updates are more thought out, less frequent and very very stable!! The freezes (mostly due to display hardware issues with the windows manager like Gnome/KDE!!) are non-existent in Debian. But I should admit, Debian configuration/tweaking does require a bit (actually - more than a bit!!!) of Linux familiarity!!

But my destop recommendation of choice is Mint (Mint 7 'Gloria' based on Ubuntu 9.04 and KDE Graphics Manager released a few days ago) Distribution. (http://www.linuxmint.com).
Read a nice review at http://1n73r.net/2009/05/09/linux-mint-7-review


I would recommend you use Mint 7!!
And of course how I wish Windows 7 was Open Source :-(
Am finding it rather good :-) and wouldn't mind paying for it only if it was open source!! (High Hopes!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment